Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Oatmeal Date Cake

Jan's birthday is in October, and she says the leaves are always peak for her birthday. This year was no different. The leaves were good. Humble as I am though, I think the cake I made for her was even better.
Oops. Slopped a bit on the sides as I slid it in the oven.

After it was done, I spooned on the icing. Coconut, butter, pecans, sugar to be broiled. How does one broil in a woodburning oven? A flame of course. I added some kindling to the coals. Now it's starting to get fun.
Not a bad broiler.

This is absolutely my favorite cake. Moist and delicious. I ate most of it. But just so you don't think I am selfish, it's Jan's favorite cake too...and I let her have a piece.


Oatmeal Date cake

from Doris Lund

  • Pour 1 cup boiling water over:
  • ½ cup(+) chopped dates
  • 1 cup oatmeal.
  • Let cool.
  • Cream together the following:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup butter
  • Add flour mixture:
  • 1 cup flour (+)
  • 1 tsp soda
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Add oatmeal mixture
  • Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes or until center is done. This is easiest in a 7x11 pan, but a square 9x9 works or a springform pan (adjust baking time).
  • Mix the following, spread on warm cake and broil for 1-2 min until brown:
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup pecans
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 3 Tbls milk
On my way back to the cabin with a warm cake in the bag! Even guys can cook (and eat!)










No comments:

Post a Comment