Friday, July 9, 2010

Peach scones



Needing to use our last remaining peach after the busy July 4th weekend, we used our trusty dial-up internet service and googled peach scones. The biggest question was....do we bake the scones directly on the hearth, or leave them on the baking pan? We thought we would try both methods! This was a taste test after all! The dough seemed sticky, so I assumed we would not be able to slide them on the hearth. However, with the help of semolina flour dusting the pizza paddle, we were able to easily move three onto the hot bricks. The remaining three were baked on the sheet pan.Below is an example of one of them from the baking pan...minus a chunk ...a scone attack by a hungry husband... and his assessment? They are burned.

The scones baked directly on the hearth were
perfect! I grabbed a picture before another attack....

Peach Scones
from Sugar Plum

1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp honey
1/3 cup finely chopped peach, peeled
2 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, chilled and cut in small pieces
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/4 cup white chocolate chips (optional)

Whisk together egg, milk, honey. Stir in peach.
Whisk together dry ingredients, then add the butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles pea size lumps.
Stir in pecans, white chocolate, and milk mixture until dough comes together. Don't overmix it.

Place dough on floured surface. Pat into round 3/4" thick. Slice into 6-8 triangles and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Put on baking pan, pack your bag, and make the trek to the oven...don't forget your coffee...

Dust the paddle with semolina flour, and put triangles on the paddle. I did it one at a time because I'm not very confident with my 'sliding' skills... Unlike pizza, once they are on the hearth, they are soft and impossible to move around until they are totally baked. This took approximately 22 minutes...and registered 180 degrees with a temperature probe.

The brick oven temperature was 440 at 8 am. We used it for pizza the night before, and left the coals in oven overnight to see how it affected the temperature. It was perfect for baking these scones.....

I can't wait to try some bread! Any bread advice out there?? jan










1 comment:

  1. Peach scones sound delicious! I have been wanting to try this recipe for peach cobbler bars that I have but I'm trying to limit myself on groceries since I move in a week...eek! Unfortunately, no bread advice from me...Marc claims bread making is one of my weaknesses..haha.

    ReplyDelete